Saturday, October 22, 2011

What if...?

As teachers, we often take advantage of opportunities to infuse technology into our lessons.  It is important to take into consideration whether what we choose and how we choose to use it can enhance student learning.  Let’s consider a “whatif”…What if we used technology to come up with ways to increase teacher learning? 

How about a website designed to serve as a platform for teacher learning that contains resources to promote professional learning communities?  The website seems necessary for a few reasons.  Professional learning communities may appear to some to be one of the latest buzzwords in the field of education.  I happen to view them differently and see them as necessary elements as teachers work to increase student learning.  They may also be a source of increasing effective teaching practices and learning for educators.  For example, the introduction of a district-wide initiative is often viewed as the next great means of increasing student achievement.  However, what often occurs is that teachers do not become adept at one initiative before the next is introduced.   In fact, a PLC can and should serve as the umbrella under which district initiatives fall. 

And, yes…there is a web site for that.  My site, http://riverviewvirtualplc.pbworks.com/, was created using PBworks.  I had intended to use wikispaces, but in considering out how to organize the website, I decided to use what I was familiar with since I knew the best way to manage the resources would be using folders.  Having a good deal of experience using PBworks with my elementary students, I knew the site had this feature.  I did, however, spend a lot of time on wiki spaces trying to figure it out.  (I am open to suggestions for use in the future!)

Incorporating social networking into a professional learning community seems ideal for members who want to collaborate outside of the school environment.  My PLC related web site could be considered a virtual PLC and a form of social networking.  Great benefits will emerge from encouraging teachers to talk to each other and learn from each other.  Sharing expertise is one way of promoting teacher learning, yet so often we are guarded in talking about we do within our classrooms.  The virtual PLC was designed as a place where teachers can find information and resources as well as place for adding and sharing information with colleagues.  A virtual PLC…bringing colleagues together…what a novel idea! 





What a novel idea....

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I think utilizing PLCs for what they're worth in education is important. I can think of some instructors, however, who are just not "down" with the times and won't take time to collaborate on news ideas or work tirelessly to design new lesson plans. There is too much pressure from these districts for students to succeed. I wouldn't want to be a teacher today. I don't know how you all do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. It seems like you have some previous experience with blogs and websites from your writing and how you describe your work. I completely agree how important professional development is to practitioners. Your site not only provides the opportunities for teachers to improve themselves but the social media aspect allows for faculty from all over to collaborate outside of the traditional professional development forums like conferences. I hope to see more sites like your in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cath-
    Great post! It is interesting, my website is designed to get teachers at my school to share technology resources. I figured if we get teachers comfortable just accessing and sharing online resources in one online spot, many positives will come from this experience. I think the same can be applied to professional learning communities. So much about professional learning communities has to do with developing a common definition and language around PLC’s that must be unique to one’ sown school. This is why it does not succeed in many places, I think. There is no one understanding of what it is and what it looks like and it looks different from school to school. Ok, enough of that tangent. My point is your tool will help develop critical conversations that need to take place about what PLC’s look like and sound like (and feel like) for your school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cath, It's funny that I'm reading this post today. I just pitched an idea that I had similar to this to my principal. We were talking about the holes in our knowledge using the interactive whiteboard technology and how we can offer internet safety workshops to parents. I mentioned that it might be worthwhile to create a space where teachers can create their own video lessons on the ways they have used technology in their classes and posting videos of workshops for future use. I also mentioned that it might be a place where teachers can set up blogs and interact with one another, sharing ideas and resources. We just started brainstorming the possibilities. I wondering if we can create our own contained staff social network where we can interact, store, and view teacher created resources.

    ReplyDelete