Sunday, November 13, 2011

Shortening A Laundry List


So, it’s that laundry list of excuses that can get in the way of effectively integrating technology into the classroom. 

Here are just a few:
·      the Internet is always down
·      the students know more about technology than the teachers
·      teachers need more professional development
·      “it’s just for show anyway”
·      there is just not enough time in the day to incorporate technology
·      so many websites are blocked by the district
·      there is not enough money in the budget
·      etc.

I think there are times when educators shy away from using technology due to lack of confidence many times caused by a lack of professional knowledge.  Similar to the saying, “If you think you can’t, you’re right!”…teachers may feel inadequate when it comes to taking those tried, true, and tested ideas, throwing them out the window and coming up with ideas for integrating technology.  Although not explicitly stated by colleagues, it has been my experience that a few of the excuses mentioned above do not describe the whole picture or bring to light a heavily weighted underlying issue  that many educators challenge.  There is continuous questioning of whether technology can increase student learning.  The bigger question to ask is…how can technology increase achievement?   

What I believe needs to be considered are the effective practices of master teachers who taught successfully for years before the onslaught of educational technology.  Sometimes there is no grey area; there is the teacher who uses technology, and the one who doesn’t.  More often than not this can translate to the younger teacher who may be considered a digital native and the veteran teacher who is the digital immigrant.  Does it really need to be so black and white? 

What about teachers collaborating to enhance and increase student achievement via their own expertise?  For example, collaboration between the teacher who can successfully get her students to use an author’s tool such as dialogue during writing instruction and the teacher who is adept with digital storytelling will enhance each other’s instructional strategies and ultimately increase student achievement.  A win-win situation all around! 

So, it seems as though that laundry list can be shortened by the use of professional learning communities.  Teachers coming together to solve problems of practice will start a new ERA while WISKing a new TIDE of collaboration…let us ALL begin!  Get “DOWNy” with it!





  

5 comments:

  1. Great post. The videos were very moving and motivational. If only teachers had the opportunities to use these technologies more often than not. Do you believe you could integrate most of, if not all, the top ten technologies? If not, what resources or knowledge would you need to go out of your way to learn in order to do so? Do you feel your district effectively promotes professional development with technology? If not, how do you think PLCs can help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post, and I think you make a great point. There is always room, with any challenge, to come up with a list of reasons (or maybe excuses) that can be given why the challenge is too steep. And I really agree that in order for teachers to implement technology into the curriculum, they do face many challenges. However, in the “Top Ten Reasons to Use Technology” video, it is very true when it says, “Using new technologies is the future of education.” If teachers who are strong in fundamentals can partner with teachers who are well versed in technology – imagine the fabulous result for our students!
    We must also keep in mind, as the video says, that students love technology! I even have students who are writing editorials about how more technology should be used in school. I think if we show that video to teachers who are against using technology, and provide them with the necessary support, we can convert some teachers into technology lovers! And then, by using technology, we can hopefully motivate and educate all of our students.
    Great post!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - I dislike all of those reasons that people give to NOT use technology. They are cop outs for those who do not want to put in the effort or do not see the results of it. As we go forward, I think you are right, we need to bridge the gap between the digital native and immigrant through the use of PLC's and collaboration. Using the internet as a tool can be useful as well. It will help when trying to find authentic ways of using the technology in the classrooms.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make some great points in this post. I agree that teachers need to really open their minds more and collaborate more. Unfortunately with collaboration comes a whole myriad of ADDITIONAL excuses such as, not enough time, too much effort, not everyone is on the same page. In my personal experience I have only worked with teachers that are of much higher caliber and that have great ideas. I worked so well with these people, and we were all of very like-mind.

    With that said, I know it's becoming a rarity.

    I think the root of the majority of our problems is finding really good teachers. Cathy, you make a great point that a teacher that knows how to draw out good discussion should collaborate with someone who knows how to work a digital storytelling program. The problem is that there is so much disparity between good and (let's face it) bad teachers that many shy away from collaboration.

    Add technology into the mix and everyone goes a little nuts. As mentioned above, PLC's are awesome when successfully implemented, and is a great way to try to close the gap between the outstanding teacher and the mediocre. By slowly integrating technology into an already established PLC, I think we can eventually get our schools to where we want them to be.

    Thank you for that post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, thank you for creating such an interesting post. The videos were great and I loved your word play! As I was reading you post I kept thinking of tools like Thinkfinity or Gro.ups. The technology itself can be a conduit to share and learn. Just from the interaction we have had on these blog posts and the discussion posts I have tried several new tools and share them with some of my colleagues. At my district I get the sense that teachers are ready and willing to become more knowledge about integrating technology in the classroom. They are attending workshops. They are using their own laptops and iPads. And, they have pushed a reluctant principal to allow students to use their own e-readers in the classroom. Sure, we have staff that resist, but they are few and their numbers are dwindling.

    My concern is not teacher willingness nor is it opportunities to meet as PLCs. However, my concern lies with administrators who are unaware of technologies available, unable to identify and utilize staff the do, fear a lack of control, or have a limited vision of its uses. Being just a teacher, I wonder about how much technological professional development administrators receive. I remember reading an article from one of our classes that talked about the importance of the principal and his/her leadership capacity. I think this is an important piece of the problem of sluggish integration of technology in some schools and classrooms.

    That being said, I know we'll get there. Soon our schools will be filled and run by digital natives. After reading your post about digital natives collaborating with digital immigrants, I was reminded of a former student of mine who has recently graduated high school. He contacted me via Facebook to see how I was doing and asked if I remembered him. He sent me a link to his blog. It turns out he is quite the artist, but I was surprised that he even had a blog. I never dawned on me that my students would be bloggers one day. I am somewhat embarrassed by this immigrant thinking, but I'm hoping that I will begin to naturally use these tools as Bobby. Take a look at his work if you're interested. http://zehnderr.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete